Tuesday 2 August 2011

Dateline Wednesday 27th July Getting There

So we rejoin the blog at the start of the flight, at 9pm the previous night (Tuesday 26th July). Sitting down in my seat in the aircraft, after all the frantic preparations the holiday is really starting, it's not a dream, it's a reality.

Emirates was the airline I chose, mainly on Jubbly's recommendation as an carrier providing a high quality of service, plus a generous luggage allowance, which I needed!:-) The service was certainly exceptional, although I can't say that I exactly had bags of leg room, but maybe you need to be a first/business class passenger for that!

I was knocked out by the cockpit view of the runway displayed on the screens for all to see, quite something. A phenomenal choice of in-flight entertainment too, although I couldn't really be bothered with it being knackered due to staying up all night. The meal was very good indeed, much better than some I've had. I tried to sleep but I think I was too tired, managing not much more than a few minutes and that certainly didn't refresh me.

But before I knew it, seven hours had elapsed and we were touching down in Dubai, capital of the United Arab Emirates, around 20 minutes ahead of schedule at around 6:45am. As the main luggage was being transferred to the next flight, all I had to do was take the hand luggage with me off the plane. Then it was a matter of going through immigration and then into the Arrivals hall. Now I knew that the Arab world was pretty well-heeled but the sheer opulence of the Duty Free area was just jaw dropping - I can quite honestly say I've never seen anything like it! You realise at times like that just where the wealth is in this world.

I hadn't changed any UAE currency so it was a matter of going to the hole in the wall and drawing out a modest amount, sufficient to get me some food. I found a French patisserie place and had a couple of cakes and a coffee, finding that, yet again, time seemed to zoom by. Two and a half hours had elapsed and, as it was time to check-in, I made my way to the relevant gate. Boarding didn't start on time but they soon got us on and we were off again! Another seven hours in the air!

This time I had a really interesting flight passenger sitting next to me. Originally from Pakistan, he had lived in Malaysia for a number of years and was currently a Professor in Electrical Engineering at City University, London. We had a lot in common as I'm a graduate Electronics Engineer and we spent quite a few hours enjoying some fascinating conversation. He told me how he works with a number of Asian universities, especially those in Malaysia, which get involved in research projects with his university - this tends to be funded by the relevant government and is a way of them building contacts and getting experience at the ground floor level in technological developments. The picture that emerges is of foreign governments who want their countries to get ahead in the technological race and are prepared to invest to make it happen.

Nothing to add regarding the quality of Emirates' service, top notch as before. The journey was nearly over, apart from one last hop, that of the domestic flight to Penang. I was given ambiguous instructions as to where to go, resulting in me queuing up in the wrong place, but eventually found the right place, however at the price of me not having time to get something to eat before the flight. Checking in through immigration had them querying the amount of medication I was carrying but my explanation was accepted without a quibble.

This time, a Malaysia Airlines flight, lasting just 50 minutes, a more modest and relaxed affair being a domestic flight. The offer of juice was gladly accepted together with some nibbles.

Then, at 00:45 Malay time on Thursday morning, I finally got to my destination, the island of Penang. Jesse, her sis Adde and friend Hanie were waiting for me and I was able, at long last, to play out my surprise - my transformation from beard and moustache to cleanly shaven. A warm reception from my dear friends and a good reaction from the lady regarding the shaved face!

Loading the car up, we then went for a drive to find somewhere to eat, enabling me to unwind and get a taste of Malay cuisine on Malaysian soil. Jesse and Hanie had fun winding up the waiter, poor lad, they had him running round in circles, the start of a real fun-filled few days.

Then it was time for us all to go "home", an apartment they'd booked out of town. A quick unpack, a shower and off to sleep after my first few hours on Malaysian soil.

No comments: