Tuesday 2 August 2011

Dateline Friday 29th July Kuala Lumpur - the city that never sleeps!

After all the frenzied activity the previous night, I had an equally wild night of sleep with the weirdest dreams after my mind was struggling to process it all, no doubt trying to cope with the jet-ski and Wiper rides. We were all tired from the exertions of those rides so a bit later getting up as planned. The day was scheduled to be one for travelling down to KL, the capital Kuala Lumpur, the city that never sleeps!

But before that we had to pack and then drive to meet up with Hanie and Arvin for brunch Indian style. Going home the previous night we had encountered a really heavy rainstorm with torrential rain that had brought down a tree in the middle of the winding coastal road, with the downpour just bouncing off the road surface. But, maybe 7 or so hours later, there was no sign of the violent weather with a road surface that was totally dry.

A street style restaurant, basic but with brilliant food again. This time, my hosts got me eating Indian style, no fork and spoon, just using my hands, quite an experience that takes some getting used to! Arvin certainly knows his food and restaurants and this was another wonderful recommendation. Unfortunately, after another superb meal, it was time to say "farewell" to Arvin, hopefully, we will meet again! Miss you, brother!

Then the long car drive to KL on the E1 motorway - fascinating seeing the various advertising hoardings on the road, giving quite an insight to Malay culture.

Hanie had booked me into one of the "Crown Regency Serviced Suites" right in the centre of KL, a few minutes walk away from the stunning Petronas towers. Final check-in was 3pm, but because of an accident on the E1 that delayed us, the girls had to ring in to extend the deadline to 6pm. As it was we were a few minutes late because we were delayed further once we hit KL. I don't think I'd ever seen the like of the traffic jams that we had to wade through, simply unbelievable. The suite was really luxurious but very reasonably priced and once I’d checked in, the girls departed to stay at a cousin of Jesse's about 20 minutes away.

This enabled me to explore and take a walk to the nearby Suria KLCC (Kuala Lumpur Shopping Centre), which is Malaysia's premier shopping mall, located at the bottom of the Petronas Twin Towers. Malls aren't particularly my thing, but this is a really classy affair with top designer label names all represented.

Pretty soon, though, it was time to make my way back to the hotel suite. A few yards away from base, I was accosted by three ladies sitting at a bus stop. They smiled at me as I passed them and called to me, was I a tourist? The camera strapped around my neck and my pale white legs obviously gave the game away!;-) Well, I'll chat with anyone who's friendly and it turned out they were from the Philippines. I explained my trip but after a short while I realised their intentions, they were working girls looking for a pickup, promising me a massage and one explained how she was good at kissing and promised me a relaxing time. Oddly enough, they seemed to lose interest when I explained I would be meeting my lady friends for dinner, though not until they asked how about meeting after dinner, LOL! Very pleasant ladies but "no thanks", LOL!

A shower and change of clothing then off out with the girls again, this time to go to an authentic Malay restaurant. The only problem was we had to pick up Hanie's nieces en route and that meant wading through a couple of hours of incredible traffic jams. I was most impressed by the girls' aggressive driving skills in carving out a route despite the other competition on the roads without a scratch - I tell you this, driving in KL is not for the faint hearted!!!!

The nieces had been to evening school which really got me thinking about Malaysia's incredible success in moving up the economic league tables, a subject to which I will return as a look back on my time in Malaysia.

Anyway, a bit more driving to get to our restaurant, this time offering authentic Malay cuisine. More fun eating then onto a night street market - think of a really busy market but still heaving with the throngs of browsers and at MIDNIGHT, for heaven's sake and you get the picture, this is KL, the city that never sleeps!

But talking of sleep, it was time to take Hanie's nieces home then be taken back to the hotel for some kip myself. Thanks for an amazing experience, ladies!

No comments: