Saturday 6 August 2011

Dateline Sunday 31st July KL - Final day

Sunday, my last full day in Malaysia. Started off buying some souvenirs from the KLCC, then I was picked up from the hotel by the girls and yes, we went out for food again, to another restaurant recommended by Arvin. Like all the best eateries, basic in appearance but again some superb nosh!

After that, a trip to the Batu Caves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batu_Caves), to the north of KL, one of the most popular Hindu shrines outside India. As you approach the caves you see the massive imposing Murugan statue, covered in gold paint. Lots of parking is available in front and behind the statue, you climb the 272 concrete steps to get to the Temple cave at the top. It's worth stopping periodically, not just to gather breath but also to survey the increasingly spectacular views of the surrounding area the higher you climb. It's a stunningly beautiful shrine, fascinating for anyone interested in Eastern culture.

Notwithstanding the cultural aspect of the location, there is much fun to be had seeing the proboscis monkeys playing around, keeping the crowds amused. When I visited, apart from a few lone monkeys, there were two females carrying their young, such a beautiful sight.

Then back into KL, initially to Dataran Merdeka (Independence Square) with the splendid Sultan Abdul Samad Building located in front of the Square and the colonial Royal Selangor Club behind - a beautiful contrast of East and West.

Jesse and Hanie went off into a retail complex for a manicure and pedicure while Adde and I headed off for the incredible Low Yat Plaza on Jalan Bukit Bintang, the heart of the "shopping mall centrum". The plaza is on umpteen floors and the home of just about everything you could hope to buy in the field of consumer electronics and computer and photographic equipment, a treasure trove for anyone with the slightest interest in these areas. I was no exception getting some items there before we went onto some of the other retail malls, including one where we saw sweets being made in front of the crowd.

Finally into Chinatown to have a look at the market and a bite to eat at a Chinese restaurant before Adde took me back to the restaurant, tired but happy.

Another fab day, wish there were more!  I was actually up all night sorting out my things and packing them in readiness for the trip out of KL, the following morning. The girls came for me around 5:30 and all of us were shattered, the girls doubly so because it was the start of Ramadan, the Islamic month of fasting - they had got up at some unearthly hour before dawn to have their breakfast, so were probably more tired than me.

I checked out of my room, settled my bill and then we loaded the car with my belongings before going on to KLIA, Kuala Lumpur International Airport. After some checking in for the flight, we hung around for a while, then the girls had to leave as they needed to return their hire car in time. I just found it horrendous saying goodbye, not knowing when I'd be seeing them again as I continued onward with my Australasian adventure. Those were heartbreaking moments - I was struggling to hold back the tears as I saw them disappear around the corner.

It had been a wonderful few days, full of so many incredible experiences, all new. I'd fallen in love, with a country, a nation, its lovely people, its beautiful sights and its incredible food. Thank you for one of the most amazing few days of my life, you all know collectively and individually just what you mean to me, so I won't embarrass you, other than to thank you for your kindness, love and hospitality. Nothing was too much trouble for you and you are all such wonderful proud ambassadors for your splendid country - I include not just Jesse, Adde and Hanie but also their friends Arvin, Albert, Shana and Didi. I love and miss you guys so much. I hope Google Translate is able to do justice to my words:

Sehingga kita bertemu lagi, rakan-rakan yang indah saya, terima kasih, dari bahagian bawah jantung saya! (Until we meet again, my beautiful friends, thank you, from the bottom of my heart!) xxxxx

No comments: