Friday 12 August 2011

Dateline Thursday 11th August - Mangroves, Strawberries and Nuts

Wot? No sunshine? I was thinking of asking for my money back when I got up - a very, very overcast day, much like any other UK day. And then the rain started. It didn’t last long but after a pause, we had another short shower. I was told by SWMBO that this was an ideal day to visit the mangroves, so who was I to argue?

We packed and set off, travelling north up the Bruce Highway, but a tad further than I'd ventured previously. En route, I realised I'd forgotten my sunglasses and bottled drinks. Doh, that's what cloudy skies do to the mind!:-(

Took a few piccies of Mount Tibrogargan, one of the Glass House Mountains then we carried on to the Ettamogah Pub. Jubbly had previously posted the link for this quirky pub and it had certainly tickled my fancy, but this was just a short pit stop to get some drinks and munchies. There are a few touristy shops here by the side of the pub, so we got a steak and kidney Beefys Pie and a coffee each from one of them - although I'm not a regular pie eater these were delicious. Round the corner was a petrol filling station where I got a pair of sunglasses and my drinks. Sorted.

Our destination was the Maroochy Wetlands Sanctuary at Bli Bli. I've never visited the mangroves previously but in the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of reading up about their importance to the eco-system. Jubbly has taken tour groups around the sanctuary previously and it showed - brilliant having your own personal guide who knows their stuff. She explained how the vegetation changed gradually as we moved into the mangroves, pointing out the different types of mangrove, including berries and root systems and the various bird calls. Being the cool season it was a quiet time for the wild life, just as well as the mosquitoes weren't around. It was a bit disappointing that the fiddler crab was absent, although this may have been due to a slightly noisy boat tour that had just disembarked. It was a fascinating hour or two where Jubbly's training and professionalism showed.

After this we went to a nearby strawberry centre, where I demolished a lovely homemade ice cream and then we had a Devonshire Cream Tea, served up with their own strawberry jam. We talked to the owner about pineapples and she pointed out where her pineapples were growing - from the ground, not from a tree as I'd always imagined!

Then a change of plan, rather than going to the Ettamogah Pub for a meal, as originally planned, Jubbly drove further inland to Yandina (originally called Maroochy), to visit the Ginger Factory. I've never seen so many products with Ginger and Honey as their common theme! Jubbly stocked up in the shop, then we went to the Coffee Roastery across the road, but this closes at 3 pm, so we nipped into the Nutworks Macadamia Factory next door - again, the most incredible collection of nut-oriented products - oils, chocolates and a mind-boggling choice of flavoured nuts.

It seemed a long drive home after what had been a lovely day. Thanks again, J! xxx

No comments: